My madcap adventures in Germany during my year as a Fulbright Scholar.

19 December 2006

Prague

My friend Shannon and I decided to take a much needed end-of-term vacation. Well, it's the end of term for her; I still have class but agreed to go along anyway. She came to Berlin for a couple days and then we spent about two and a half days in Prague.

Here are some highlights:

We went ice skating on Bebelplatz.

IMG_0528.JPG

Of course, when I came up with the brilliant "let's go ice skating" plan, I completely neglected to take into account my inability to ice skate, and this was the result:

IMG_0583.JPG

We walked around town, visited Christmas markets, drank Glühwein, and had our picture taken with Marx and Engels.

IMG_0496.JPG

After that it was off to Prague, city of spires.

IMG_0554.JPG

I spent a day touring the Jewish Quarter. This is the Old Jewish Cemetery:

IMG_0559.JPG

At sundown (3:42 PM!) we went to Shabbas service at the Old-New Synagogue, built in the 13th century. It was the first day of Hanukkah.

IMG_0558.JPG

On Saturday I walked the processional route to the castle area and spent the morning there. This is the most recognizable building in the area, St. Vitus Cathedral:

IMG_0618.JPG

There were beautiful city views from the castle.

IMG_0612.JPG

Like every good toursit, I spent time on the Charles Bridge.

IMG_0602.JPG

This is the knight who stands guard at the base of the bridge:

IMG_0606.JPG

I also walked around the Old Town, with its beautiful Town Hall:

IMG_0587.JPG

The astronomical clock on the Old Town Hall:

IMG_0652.JPG

I even braved the masses of people to shoot a video of it chiming the hour:



On Saturday evening we went to the Opera (Carmen).

IMG_0656.JPG

This was the view from our box:

IMG_0658.JPG

The highlight of the trip was my visit to the National Gallery (of 19th, 20th, and 21st century art). Don't judge the building by its facade.

IMG_0670.JPG

Somehow I also managed to find time to just wander around and snap photos of whatever caught my fancy:

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

How awesome is the Soviet area Metro system?

As you can see, Prague is a beautiful city. It was, unfortunately, overrun with tourists; I can't imagine what it's like in the summer if it's this crowded at Christmas.

If you can believe it, there are even more photos on my flickr page.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home