My madcap adventures in Germany during my year as a Fulbright Scholar.

05 September 2006

Shangri La

Who says you can’t ever get there? On my continuing search for a decent craft store I went to the biggest department store in Berlin, and possibly in all of Germany, Ka De We. Eight floors of merchandise. Since most department stores here have a craft department, I figured the biggest and best department store would have the biggest and best craft department. When you’re right, you’re right.

I spent about fifteen minutes fruitlessly searching the store for the fabled “creative” department listed on the guideposts. Finally I found it, underneath the parking garage, across the street. But just look at it:


Beautiful.

It’s huge: the size of the parking garage and filled to the ceiling with merchandise. Beads, buttons, fabric, paints, pens, paper, scrapbooking supplies, wiggly eyes, stamps, chalks, pastels, Xyron sticker makers, knitting needles, crochet hooks, and yarn, yarn, yarn. The black-and-white industrial look was perfectly complemented by the jewel-toned yarns.

If you subscribe to the idea that you choose your own heaven, this would be mine. Seriously.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's so clean, sharp. i love it!

2:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home