My madcap adventures in Germany during my year as a Fulbright Scholar.

05 November 2006

Kriegsverlust

I was doing some research in the online catalogue of the Staatsbibliothek this evening, and none of the books I wanted were available. They were all listed with the phrase "Kriegsverlust möglich" (possible war loss).

First of all, it disturbs me that they don't know if they have the book or not. I mean, shouldn't a library know that sort of thing?

Secondly, why, oh, why, do items stand in the online catalogue that were, quite possibly, lost in the war? World War II ended more than sixty years ago. Get over it and just delete those item from the catalogue.

Thirdly, I find it quite amusing that at some point during the 1990s or early 2000s, all of these potentially lost items were added to the online catalogue.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home