My madcap adventures in Germany during my year as a Fulbright Scholar.

04 May 2007

Photos from the hiatus

Before I report on my fabulous weekend trip to Sachsen-Anhalt and the Harz, I wanted to share some photos I took during my blogging hiatus.


A German shepherd keeps watch in front of the laundromat.


What, you may ask, is so remarkable about a patch of sunlight on my wall? Well, it's remarkable in that it's the first direct sunlight I've seen in my apartment since I moved in... in August. Actually, I'm not sure you can even technically call it direct sunlight, since it was first reflected off of my neighbor's window, but I'll take what I can get.


A big pile of English lit., with my knitting; blogging breaks are rather nice.


I consider myself a fairly liberal, progressive, tolerant person. It takes a lot to shock me, but can't you find a better place to make out than in the cemetery?


Reading on the banks of the Spree on a warm April afternoon.


Soaking up the sun at the beach. Man, I love this city.


Fishing in the Spree.


I call this picture "Berlin landscape," since to me it typifies this city: big, anonymous, highrise apartment building surrounded by idyllic private garden plots.


Spider webs


I found a little piece of America right here in Germany. This park (Los Angeles Platz) forbids you to play on the playground equipment (unless you're actually a child), set foot on the grass, bring your dog, ride your bike, feed the birds or drink alcohol.


Another typical Berlin scene: power plant and S-Bahn platform, with a Schrebergarten stuck in between.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home