My madcap adventures in Germany during my year as a Fulbright Scholar.

05 April 2007

Ausländer and ornithology

Most of the time I'm here, my life goes on in a completely normal fashion. I take classes, study, spend time in the library, write, blog, take photos, knit, procrastinate, but sometimes I have moments when it really hits me that I'm in a foreign country.

I'm becoming inured to the drinking in public and when warm weather rolls around I'm sure I will become accustomed to the public nudity. But some things still strike me:

There's seeing public art that just would not be tolerated in the United States,


having your time wasted by people who mindlessly following rules and protocol, including making out a receipt


for €1.50,



and having a landlord who doesn't hesitate to corner you on your way up to your apartment and ask invasive questions:

"I can't help but notice you've lost a lot of weight. My wife, you see, she's a bit fat and has tried everything. What's your secret?"

"Well," stammering in an embarrassed manner. "I just walk a lot."

"That can't be all."

"No, I mean, a lot a lot."



On a completely unrelated note, any idea what kind of a duck this is?



Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ducks are Mandarin ducks. I went to "Ducks of the World" and checked it out. That sounds just like your landlord. I love that guy. He's a riot. Mom

1:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home